Skip to main content

Two Weeks of Soup for the Price of One

Did you miss me?? Perhaps you didn't even notice that Skip, missed a week of the soup project, or maybe you were wondering, where's my soup report!? Either way, no worries, I made soups, I just didn't get a chance to share the report with you. So, what does that mean? That means you get to hear about two weeks of soup in this week's report.

You might be saying, "what the heck is this girl Skip talkin' about!?!" Well, I'm glad you asked. For many weeks now, Skip has been soupin' her way through Paleo Grub's 43 Paleo Soups to Warm You Up

So, here's what I've made the past two weeks:

Cozy Celeriac Soup which is from a blog which is new to me, Paleolland (which is a play on words since this blogger is from Holland). If you are not familiar with celeriac it is a root vegetable and is sometimes called celery root. I find it really delicious and quite versatile, as it can be mashed or pureed, or cubed up and
roasted, much like a potato. That is why I enjoyed this soup so much, it was very much like a creamy potato soup. Plus, you know the addition of bacon makes everything better and mushrooms, they really added a nice texture and flavor to this soup. When you read the instructions you might think, it will be difficult because of the many steps, but it's really not. You can saute the bacon and mushrooms
while you are cooking the celeriac. And you know I love using my immersion blender, so any soup that requires blending is fun for me!

Celeriac Soup with Bacon and Mushroom Garnish

Verdict: Yummy!

Next up was, Paleo Chicken Tortilla Soup from the website of a nutritionist named, Linda Wagner. No tortillas were harmed in the making of this soup. The name "tortilla" is just to indicate the style of the soup, there are no tortillas, paleo or otherwise used in this soup. The soup does contain lots of big flavors, like tomatoes, cumin, cilantro, shredded chicken and shredded carrots, which add great texture to the soup. As the recipe indicates this can be made in a crock pot or in a regular soup pot.
Tortilla Soup Minus the Tortillas :)
Obviously, with a soup like this the longer the flavors can hang out and simmer together the better. This is a great use for left over chicken you may have or you can just bake a couple of chicken breasts for  use in the soup. The recipe calls for you to cut the chicken into strips, but I shredded mine because I had cooked a whole chicken in the crockpot and used the breasts for this soup.

Verdict: Great flavor and texture.

The next soup comes to us from the blog, The Ramblings of the Traveling Cook. A blog with a long name and a soup with an equally long name, Paleo Creamy Kale, Sausage and Sweet Potato Soup. The coconut milk is what makes this soup creamy and it is perfect with the other flavors in this soup. This is another example on this list of my favorite kind of soups, chop and dump.
Bacon and Sausage
You take each ingredient and continue to add it to the pot until everyone is in the pool and they just simmer along and get delicious in there. This soup is super filling, so it makes for a great meal. The only issue I had with the recipe was in the photos on the blog the sausage used was a Bob Evans packaged sausage, I bought fresh sausage at the meat counter at the grocery store because that is what I prefer. I would say use what you like and always read the label, I don't know what the ingredients are in Bob Evans sausage (the website has nutrition facts, but not an ingredient list). Bottom line- buy and use ingredients that work for you.

Verdict: Hearty soup that definitely will fill you up!
Creamy Kale, Sausage and Sweet Potato Soup

The final soup in this weeks (two weeks worth of soup!) comes to us from the popular paleo blog, Cavegirl Cuisine. And as with other recipes from this site that I have tried, her Scallop Chowder did not disappoint. The use of parsnips (one of Skip's favorite veggies- really- puree it and use in place of mashed potatoes, you'll be amazed.) eliminates the need for cream to thicken this soup. Believe it or not, but Skip purposely left out the bacon on this recipe because we had been having a lot of it recently. I did however cook the scallops in some left over bacon fat I had, to make sure we got the right flavor. The recipe calls for bay scallops, but I like to order mine from Local Abundance and they only have the regular big sea scallops
Beautiful Scallops
, so I just quartered them to make the scallops into small bite size pieces. I think the soup would be delicious with either type. This soup was fairly easy to make, sometimes it can be a pain to cook in steps, but the scallops cook so quick, it's not bad to put them in, take them out and then proceed with the recipe before adding them back in. You can do some clean up, get some other things done or even watch tv while you wait for the parsnips to soften so you can blend them. A creamy and flavorful soup.

Verdict: A creamy and flavorful soup. So. Yummy.
Parsnips in the pot

Scallop Chowder





Comments

  1. Those soups look delicious! Aw, I especially like the last picture of the scallop chowder. I love making soups myself and I am thinking I am definitely going to have to make some of these one day. Don't soups just warm you inside and out and are just such a comfort food, especially during the winter? I bet your family and friends love that fact that you are always making new soups. That must be the best. I know I always was excited for a new hearty or creamy soup when my mom made them, especially if it involves bacon. :) How long have you been cooking soups?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Paleo Burritos" AKA stuffed collard greens

I recently discovered another use for collard leaves, a replacement for our old friend known as tortillas or wraps. After removing the stems and taking a quick 3 to 5 minute bath in boiling water they are ready to go. They are more durable than lettuce and fold over a little easier after being boiled. I have used them to make a variety of lunchmeat and grilled chicken wraps recently and then I got to thinking, couldn't I make a burrito out of them? Once I assembled them, it reminded me more of stuffed cabbage than burritos, call it whatever you want, they were still yummy. So, I'll share the recipe with you.

This recipe should be considered a guide and you can change and swap any way you wish.

Approximately 4 collard leaves
1 lb ground turkey
1/2 yellow onion sliced thin
1 green bell pepper sliced thin
1 4 oz can green chiles
1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
the following spices can be added to your taste (I don't measure)
chilli powder
cumin
garlic powder
salt
pepper
cayenne…

Paleo Pineapple Upside Down Cake

EAT MORE KALE

A while ago, I learned of a guy making t-shirts and stickers with the phrase Eat More Kale on them and I was like "wow, I love kale, I need those!". And upon going through the process of finding Robert Muller Moore's website www.eatmorekale.com I found out more about him and learned some shocking stuff that he is going through.

If you live in an area where the fast food chain, Chik-Fil-A exists you may be familiar with their slogan and signs (including a cow) that read, "Eat Mor Chikin". So, they have been fighting to keep Robert from using the phrase Eat More Kale as they believe it is too similar to their slogan.

I support the Eat More Kale website, I'm a fan on facebook and I try to follow the story as best I can. Recently, I saw another blogger share a post about this struggle, including the Letter of Protest (see end of this post for reference) that Chik-Fil-A submitted, as I began to read it, I became very annoyed. Chik-Fil-A claims that because they …