Skip to main content

Souptastic!

Now that the warmer weather is starting to show up, I'm beginning to question my decision to attempt to tackle this soup list. I also seem to have hit a couple bumps at the half way point in the list.

The first started with the soups for this week, but I've also encountered some problems in preparing for next week's soups, but we'll get to that next week. This week, I had set out to do three soups, but one soup posed a problem. I could not find purple potatoes. Therefore, I am choosing to omit Purple Sweet Potato Soup from Balancing Paleo. Should I locate purple potatoes, I will consider finding the recipe and making the soup. In the meantime, it's on to our other two soups this week.

First up, for our breakfast soup this week, I went with Sausage, Zucchini and Spinach soup courtesy of the blog, The Texas Peach. This soup was chock full of veggies, zucchini, spinach, tomato, red onion, celery. They all make for a delicious combination with the sausage.
Yum. Sausage and Veggies.
But the real star in this recipe is the addition of ground fennel seeds. I love that licorice flavor that fennel adds and the ground seeds really stood out in this soup. What a warm and delicious way to start the day. This is yet another example of a "chop and dump" soup, you put all this amazing stuff in the pot and let it do it's thing. My companion is not a fan of sausage, but he did like the soup and the addition of the fennel seed.

Next up was a soup that I thought was going to be average but was really great. Lesson learned here: never underestimate the deliciousness of ham. The soup that taught me that lesson was Paleo Ham and No Bean Soup from Mellow Momma.  What started out seeming bland, cauliflower, diced ham and carrots. Turned into a smokey, creamy
Did I mention the ham shank?
bowl of wonderfulness. I should have known that the addition of a pork product would amplify the flavor of this dish. The making of the soup had a few steps, steaming the cauliflower, pureeing it and then combining with the other ingredients. When I sat down to eat this I couldn't believe just how much I loved it. My companion did not believe me. But once he tried it, he agreed it was a great soup. He might not have been as enthusiastic as I was, but that's just because he doesn't have the same level of love for pork that I do.

That's this week's soup news. Stay tuned for next week as Skip handles some hurdles in the world of soup.#soupproject
Empty bowl=delicious soup.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Paleo Burritos" AKA stuffed collard greens

I recently discovered another use for collard leaves, a replacement for our old friend known as tortillas or wraps. After removing the stems and taking a quick 3 to 5 minute bath in boiling water they are ready to go. They are more durable than lettuce and fold over a little easier after being boiled. I have used them to make a variety of lunchmeat and grilled chicken wraps recently and then I got to thinking, couldn't I make a burrito out of them? Once I assembled them, it reminded me more of stuffed cabbage than burritos, call it whatever you want, they were still yummy. So, I'll share the recipe with you.

This recipe should be considered a guide and you can change and swap any way you wish.

Approximately 4 collard leaves
1 lb ground turkey
1/2 yellow onion sliced thin
1 green bell pepper sliced thin
1 4 oz can green chiles
1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
the following spices can be added to your taste (I don't measure)
chilli powder
cumin
garlic powder
salt
pepper
cayenne…

Paleo Pineapple Upside Down Cake

EAT MORE KALE

A while ago, I learned of a guy making t-shirts and stickers with the phrase Eat More Kale on them and I was like "wow, I love kale, I need those!". And upon going through the process of finding Robert Muller Moore's website www.eatmorekale.com I found out more about him and learned some shocking stuff that he is going through.

If you live in an area where the fast food chain, Chik-Fil-A exists you may be familiar with their slogan and signs (including a cow) that read, "Eat Mor Chikin". So, they have been fighting to keep Robert from using the phrase Eat More Kale as they believe it is too similar to their slogan.

I support the Eat More Kale website, I'm a fan on facebook and I try to follow the story as best I can. Recently, I saw another blogger share a post about this struggle, including the Letter of Protest (see end of this post for reference) that Chik-Fil-A submitted, as I began to read it, I became very annoyed. Chik-Fil-A claims that because they …