Skip to main content

Soup for you

Well in this journey of 43 Paleo Soups, we've finally found a soup that not only did Skip's companion not like, but he actually refused to eat. That is definitely a first here at HOS, there are not many things that Skip's companion refuses to eat. The offender? Carrots.

This week Skip made 3 soups. Two of them feature carrots. The soup that was rejected was Roasted Winter Vegetable Soup from the website, Happy Healthnut. For the record, Skip really enjoyed this soup. It made a lot, so it was a shame that she had to eat the whole pot herself due to her companions protest. The recipe starts out with roasting carrots, sweet potatoes, onions and garlic in the oven.
Roasting veggies
This smelled so good because they were covered in coconut oil while they were roasting, yum. Once they were done roasting, Skip got her immersion blender out and smoothed the whole thing out. I am just realizing now as I re-read this recipe that maple syrup is listed in the ingredients, but it is never mentioned in the cooking instructions, therefore, I never added it. I don't think it would have made my companion change his mind, but it would have enhanced the sweetness of the carrots for sure. This is a thick soup, but adding a little extra broth or water will thin it out if you don't like thick soup.

The soup that my companion liked this week was, Orange Ginger Squash Soup, brought to us by the blog, A Calculated  Whisk.  This soup was a little bitter, but that could have been the acorn squash, sometimes they are a little bitter. The orange and the ginger paired nicely with the squash. This was a very silky soup and definitely gave you a warm, fuzzy feeling while you ate it. This was again a soup that required "passive cooking". I roasted  the acorn squash in the oven, which is nice because you can just put it in and walk away and do your other business, like fold laundry or binge watch your favorite TV program. Once the squash is roasted and cooled, the immersion blender gets busy again and them boom!
Orange Ginger Squash Soup
you've got soup. We enjoyed this as a nice mid-week dinner with roasted cauliflower and asparagus.

Our third soup this week, which also is a carrot based soup, comes to us from the blog, Elana's Pantry. Paleo Carrot Soup features not only carrots but also green apples and ginger, which Skip hoped would add enough sweetness, tartness and spice to make her companion like it. For this recipe, Skip's immersion blender did not seem up to the task. Perhaps I did not let the carrots cook long enough and therefore they were not soft enough. Anyway, I threw all the veggies in my food processor, but it was still a tiny bit chunky, so I returned to the pot and hit it with the immersion blender. It didn't get as smooth as it could, but better. I recommend sauteing the veggies longer and even putting the carrots in first because the onions started to brown and that's why I went on to the next step.The verdict on this soup, my companion actually liked it! He said the sweetness was what did it for him, so I guess maybe the maple syrup in the other recipe might have made a difference? He still said he didn't think he could eat a lot of it, but could tolerate small amounts. I found the soup very pleasant. But then again, I love carrots.
Carrots, Apples and Onions

We've got a lot of soup to go yet.We aren't even half way through the list yet! This snowy week here in NJ was great for soup, but soon it will be getting warmer! Skip made a commitment and she will finish the soups! Stay tuned, #soupproject
Carrot Soup with a lime garnish



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Paleo Burritos" AKA stuffed collard greens

I recently discovered another use for collard leaves, a replacement for our old friend known as tortillas or wraps. After removing the stems and taking a quick 3 to 5 minute bath in boiling water they are ready to go. They are more durable than lettuce and fold over a little easier after being boiled. I have used them to make a variety of lunchmeat and grilled chicken wraps recently and then I got to thinking, couldn't I make a burrito out of them? Once I assembled them, it reminded me more of stuffed cabbage than burritos, call it whatever you want, they were still yummy. So, I'll share the recipe with you.

This recipe should be considered a guide and you can change and swap any way you wish.

Approximately 4 collard leaves
1 lb ground turkey
1/2 yellow onion sliced thin
1 green bell pepper sliced thin
1 4 oz can green chiles
1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
the following spices can be added to your taste (I don't measure)
chilli powder
cumin
garlic powder
salt
pepper
cayenne…

Paleo Pineapple Upside Down Cake

EAT MORE KALE

A while ago, I learned of a guy making t-shirts and stickers with the phrase Eat More Kale on them and I was like "wow, I love kale, I need those!". And upon going through the process of finding Robert Muller Moore's website www.eatmorekale.com I found out more about him and learned some shocking stuff that he is going through.

If you live in an area where the fast food chain, Chik-Fil-A exists you may be familiar with their slogan and signs (including a cow) that read, "Eat Mor Chikin". So, they have been fighting to keep Robert from using the phrase Eat More Kale as they believe it is too similar to their slogan.

I support the Eat More Kale website, I'm a fan on facebook and I try to follow the story as best I can. Recently, I saw another blogger share a post about this struggle, including the Letter of Protest (see end of this post for reference) that Chik-Fil-A submitted, as I began to read it, I became very annoyed. Chik-Fil-A claims that because they …