Skip to main content

Believe or Not, It's More Soup

Skip is still moving along the soup list.

As I mentioned in last week's post, we hit some road blocks this week on the list, but they couldn't stop Skip! I moved right through with some minor adjustments.

First up, Chicken Bacon Crockpot Chowder from the blog Peace, Love and Low Carb. This recipe did pose a challenge for us. It calls for heavy cream and cream cheese. Right now, Skip is not doing dairy and her companion has an extreme dislike for cream cheese. The first thought was, well we don't have to do this recipe, let's just move on to the next. But then I thought, I can do this and just make some swaps. So, instead of heavy cream and cream cheese, I just used one can of full fat coconut milk.

The result? Delish. The coconut milk still provided the creaminess and texture to make this taste like a chowder. And let's face it, anything with bacon is amazing. This recipe was super easy because it's a crockpot recipe, so basically once you've assembled it, the crockpot does all the work. There is some prep work to do before you dump all the players into the crockpot, but as long as you plan ahead, you'll be golden.

Our next recipe challenge was a little different, the link for Paleo Pho didn't take you anywhere. I'm guessing that perhaps the blog, platefullpaleo either doesn't exist anymore or moved. Either way, I was without a recipe and thought, great now I really have to move along to the next soup. But I really wanted to try pho, so after a little searching I found a different Pho recipe to use. This one was from the popular, Paleo Cupboard site.
A bowl of Pho

Making Pho is a multi-step process and is therefore time consuming, but well worth it. For this recipe, the broth called for oxtails and beef knuckles, I had to settle for what they had at my store, which was oxtails and beef necks. I had less bones, pound wise then called for in the recipe, so I decreased the amounts of the other ingredients. I should have decreased the amount of water more than I did, the broth was a little "light". But still tasty.  This recipe called for the use of kelp noodles, I don't really dig the texture of them, so I went with rice noodles.Once the broth is done, the rest of the assembly is pretty easy. I set it up like a little bar and my companion and I dressed our bowls with the garnishes we each wanted. This was both fun and tasty. I definitely want to take another shot at it and try to get a better result with the broth.

Next up was this week's easiest soup, but that doesn't mean it was any less delicious. This tasty little soup from Colorful Eats was easy to make and easy to eat. The Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Soup recipe was simple, roast some tomatoes, red bell peppers, red onion and garlic with salt, pepper and oregano.
Ready to Roast
Then, blend them all together and boom! soup. This soup was thick and very comforting. This is a nice bowl of soup to cuddle up with on a cold and/or rainy day. Isn't that what we all want out of tomato soup anyway?

While Skip's companion is not a huge fan of tomato soup, he did enjoy this soup, as he has most of the tomato based soups on this list so far. I'm beginning to question this supposed dislike of tomatoes...

Make sure to come back next week for more soup! #soupproject

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Paleo Burritos" AKA stuffed collard greens

I recently discovered another use for collard leaves, a replacement for our old friend known as tortillas or wraps. After removing the stems and taking a quick 3 to 5 minute bath in boiling water they are ready to go. They are more durable than lettuce and fold over a little easier after being boiled. I have used them to make a variety of lunchmeat and grilled chicken wraps recently and then I got to thinking, couldn't I make a burrito out of them? Once I assembled them, it reminded me more of stuffed cabbage than burritos, call it whatever you want, they were still yummy. So, I'll share the recipe with you.

This recipe should be considered a guide and you can change and swap any way you wish.

Approximately 4 collard leaves
1 lb ground turkey
1/2 yellow onion sliced thin
1 green bell pepper sliced thin
1 4 oz can green chiles
1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
the following spices can be added to your taste (I don't measure)
chilli powder
cumin
garlic powder
salt
pepper
cayenne…

Paleo Pineapple Upside Down Cake

EAT MORE KALE

A while ago, I learned of a guy making t-shirts and stickers with the phrase Eat More Kale on them and I was like "wow, I love kale, I need those!". And upon going through the process of finding Robert Muller Moore's website www.eatmorekale.com I found out more about him and learned some shocking stuff that he is going through.

If you live in an area where the fast food chain, Chik-Fil-A exists you may be familiar with their slogan and signs (including a cow) that read, "Eat Mor Chikin". So, they have been fighting to keep Robert from using the phrase Eat More Kale as they believe it is too similar to their slogan.

I support the Eat More Kale website, I'm a fan on facebook and I try to follow the story as best I can. Recently, I saw another blogger share a post about this struggle, including the Letter of Protest (see end of this post for reference) that Chik-Fil-A submitted, as I began to read it, I became very annoyed. Chik-Fil-A claims that because they …