Skip to main content

Hooray for Soup!

It's week 2 of Skip's Soup Project and we are still loving soup! Check in with us a few weeks from now and see if we feel the same way!

To recap, the folks at Paleo Grubs compiled a list of 43 Paleo Soups to Warm You Up and here at HOS we thought, instead of just making a few, we'd make all the soups! In order!

So, in week two we have a couple of very yummy and very warming soups.

Chicken Vegetable Soup from Paleo on a Budget and Paleo Tomato Basil Soup from Bravo for Paleo

The Chicken Vegetable Soup was a pretty easy soup to pull together. The work really comes before hand if you plan on making your own broth, etc. During this time of year, I usually like to put a whole chicken in the crockpot with some veggies and water to make not only broth, but to have shredded chicken for recipes during the week. This practice fit right in to making this soup. The day before I planned to make it, I set up my crockpot with the whole chicken.

Then the next day, I strained all the chunky bits out of the broth and shredded the chicken.  Next, as the recipe indicates is really just a "chop and dump". The veggies in the soup are butternut squash, zucchini, onion, carrot and mushrooms. With this method you really could put whatever veggies you wanted in. Once all the veggies are in, you add the broth, chicken and seasoning and boom! you've got soup. The only thing different about this recipe than soups like this that I've made up before is the addition of apple cider vinegar. I didn't really taste it in the soup when I ate it, but I suppose it could add a little tang. This was a great soup, we ate it for breakfast all week, what a great way  to start the day!


Everybody is in the pool- shredded chicken and veggies
As for the Paleo Tomato Basil Soup, this was also not a difficult soup to make. The ingredients are simple, the most effort comes in blending the soup. Luckily I have an immersion blender so I didn't have to transfer anything to the blender and back into the pot. I highly recommend getting an immersion blender, they come in really handy. Be aware that this recipe makes A LOT of soup. It calls for 4 28 oz cans of whole tomatoes (I always try to by San Marzano) plus broth and tomato juice. While I was blending the tomatoes and the basil it smelled so good, in fact you could stop at that point and use that as sauce on pasta, chicken, whatever. I was shocked to see that the recipe called for a 1/4 lb of butter, but who am I to disagree (hee hee). So, after blending the soup, I stirred in the butter and coconut milk and boy did the smell get even better.The color got a little lighter, but it did really look like a creamy soup.
Before the blending began

When my companion dug into it the night I served it for dinner, he said, "It tastes like pizza sauce" and then after a brief pause he added, "that's not a bad thing.". I had to agree, it did taste like pizza or pasta sauce, but it was also a good soup. The perfect soup to dip a grilled cheese in, however being a mostly paleo household, we had pepperoni and olive tapenade sandwiches on Paleo Bread from Julian's Bakery. Again, a really delicious soup, perfect for a cold night. Now, we just have to finish the leftovers before the next two soups get made! Yikes!
The final product, served with a basil leaf for garnish
Well, that's it for this edition of Skip's Soup Project. I'm off to the store to get the ingredients for next week's soups. Wish me luck and please come back to follow along as I continue this journey!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Paleo Burritos" AKA stuffed collard greens

I recently discovered another use for collard leaves, a replacement for our old friend known as tortillas or wraps. After removing the stems and taking a quick 3 to 5 minute bath in boiling water they are ready to go. They are more durable than lettuce and fold over a little easier after being boiled. I have used them to make a variety of lunchmeat and grilled chicken wraps recently and then I got to thinking, couldn't I make a burrito out of them? Once I assembled them, it reminded me more of stuffed cabbage than burritos, call it whatever you want, they were still yummy. So, I'll share the recipe with you.

This recipe should be considered a guide and you can change and swap any way you wish.

Approximately 4 collard leaves
1 lb ground turkey
1/2 yellow onion sliced thin
1 green bell pepper sliced thin
1 4 oz can green chiles
1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
the following spices can be added to your taste (I don't measure)
chilli powder
cumin
garlic powder
salt
pepper
cayenne…

Paleo Pineapple Upside Down Cake

EAT MORE KALE

A while ago, I learned of a guy making t-shirts and stickers with the phrase Eat More Kale on them and I was like "wow, I love kale, I need those!". And upon going through the process of finding Robert Muller Moore's website www.eatmorekale.com I found out more about him and learned some shocking stuff that he is going through.

If you live in an area where the fast food chain, Chik-Fil-A exists you may be familiar with their slogan and signs (including a cow) that read, "Eat Mor Chikin". So, they have been fighting to keep Robert from using the phrase Eat More Kale as they believe it is too similar to their slogan.

I support the Eat More Kale website, I'm a fan on facebook and I try to follow the story as best I can. Recently, I saw another blogger share a post about this struggle, including the Letter of Protest (see end of this post for reference) that Chik-Fil-A submitted, as I began to read it, I became very annoyed. Chik-Fil-A claims that because they …