House of Skip

Thursday, January 29, 2015

And... it's Soup!

Week 3 of the Soup Project here at House of Skip and we are going strong! Two hearty veggie soups this week, that were not too difficult to make.

In case you missed the last two weeks, Skip has taken on a challenge of cooking through a list of at 43 Paleo Soups to Warm You Up compiled by Paleo Grubs. Why? Because instead of just making a few, Skip thought won't it be fun if we make all the soups! In order! Check in with me in a few weeks and ask if I still think this is fun.

First up this week was Pumpkin & Bacon Soup from the blog Things My Belly Likes. I was pretty excited about this soup, because I love pumpkin and bacon! I had to make a slight change due to not being able to find a fresh pumpkin, so that made the recipe easier by cutting down on some steps.

I used canned pumpkin, but instead of cans, I actually found some in a cardboard container!
Here is the brand of pumpkin I used.
Yum. Bacon.

The most fun part was crisping up that beautiful bacon. After cooking the bacon, you then saute the veggies in the bacon fat (YUM!) making sure you get that bacon flavor not only from that step, but then chopping the bacon and sprinkling it on top of the soup before you serve it.


The second soup this week was also a pureed vegetable soup. Saffron Cauliflower Soup w/ Sumac Oil which is from a website called, May I have that Recipe?

Cauliflower browning in the pot, I wish you could smell this.
I love cauliflower and I often roast it or even mash it to serve with dinner, so I was interested in trying a soup, which I hadn't done at home before. The cauliflower looked and smelled so amazing while cooking in the bottom of my stock pot.The other thing that was interesting, or as I like to say "fun", was that the recipe recommended serving this with Sumac Oil. I had never bought or used Sumac and thought it might call for another trip to the Savory Spice Shop, but I did indeed locate it (with the help of my companion) at Whole Foods. Making the oil was pretty easy, mix ground sumac, olive oil and lemon juice and bam! (shout out to Emeril!), you've got it.

The soup was very good and very filling. The sumac oil definitely added to the soup. It was an interesting flavor, it had sort of a tang to it. I describe it was chili powder without the heat, my companion likened it to mustard, I would say we are both on the right track in terms of the flavor profile. I'll have to find more ways to make use of the ground sumac now that I've added it to my spice rack. See what fun this soup project has become?

The final result? My soup came out a little more yellow than what the original recipe looked like, I'm not sure if I roasted the cauliflower too much (let it get too brown) or if the broth I used colored the soup too much.
May I Have that Recipe's soup (left), my soup (right)


I hope you are learning a lot from my experience here with the Soup Project, I know I am. Maybe you'll even try new ingredients after learning of them here. Don't forget to check in next week and keep on soupin' on.





No comments:

Post a Comment