Skip to main content

Agricola, Princeton

With the holiday season behind us, Skip can now re-focus on the task at hand. I had high hopes of being able to maintain this blog and many other things (like my workout schedule) during the holiday season, but I did not succeed. However, the beauty of a New Year is a fresh start. And I'd like you all to remember that each day is a chance to start over, so don't let a bad day or a off moment put you in a downward slump, look at each morning as a chance to start fresh. Ok, enough of the motivational speech, after all you came here to read about my food adventures, right? Of course you did!

So, just because Skip hasn't had time to write doesn't mean she hasn't been filling her days with lots of food adventures, so let me try to catch you up.

First on the list, Skip finally made it to Agricola in Princeton. I had been salivating over the idea of eating there since I read the first article announcing they would open in the space that was once Lahiere.

A new eatery in our area that focuses on fresh, local ingredients? Oh yes, I wanted in on that. A little insight on Skip's companion, he has to be in the right "mood" to try out new places like this. He doesn't necessarily like all the hubbub around a new place. So, we waited awhile, and then still didn't go a few times because we thought we'd want to make a reservation and not just "wing it". But one night, that's just what we did. It happened to be the evening of the day Skip ran the Trenton Half Marathon (what a reward!). We just decided we'd go and see what the wait was and take our chances. It turned out there were two seats at the bar and we opted to just eat our meal there- one of Skip and her companions favorite things to do.

We cozied up to the bar and ordered a couple of drinks while we took in the surroundings. The place is very hipster, but in a good way- not a douchey way. The bartenders are like farmer mixologists (apparently the uniform for the waitstaff is flannel shirts!- Love it!). I had an awesome maple bourbon Manhattan. If you aren't new to HOS than you know Skip loves a Manhattan, but what's better than a Manhattan? One with maple syrup in it. My companion ordered the oh-so-classic Sazerac. Needless to say we were having a very good time and our excitement was growing as we reviewed the menu.

I happily started off with the pickled and fermented vegetable plate, while my companion had to try and contain his child-like enthusiasm for the kale salad. The vegetable plate was both adorable and delicious- great presentation, lovely little pickled veggies all stacked in their own little space on the plate. If you love sour things, this is for you. This is also a good time to tell you that while they do serve meat, Agricola is a great place for vegetarians as they have lots of yummy veggie options. Which was not only the case with my veggie plate but also with my companions amazing kale salad that was super good. I did manage to get my fork in there without any bodily harm :). At this point we had finished up our cocktails and had moved on to wine. Since I am playing "catch-up" here on reviews, I don't remember what exactly we both had but I am pretty sure they were reds since I think we both had meat... but again, I'm behind so that is kind of fuzzy too.

What is not fuzzy is dessert, so let's fast forward to that part. Sweet Potato Beignets, have more delicious words ever been spoken? I am not sure they have. These puffy, soft, doughy, sugary treats ended what was a wonderful night out after one of my biggest accomplishments.
The beignets were awesome, truly awesome. They were sweet and just the perfect ending, they came with "frizzled" sweet potato strings on top and a drizzle of maple syrup for a touch more sweetness. We also ended the meal with a dessert wine to round out our beverage experience. I had a moscato while my companion went with a port. 

All in all, a wonderful evening was had. I am sorry there are some "holes" in my review however, so much time has passed since that evening and so many "adult beverages" were consumed that my memory is not functioning well. One of these days I will recognize that my goal of doing a review immediately following an experience does not usually happen and realize that I need to take notes! But please trust me when I tell you the meal and service at Agricola were both outstanding and I highly recommend you visit them.


Eleven Witherspoon Street
Princeton, New Jersey 08542
telephone +1 (609) 921 2798 info@agricolaeatery.com greatroadfarm.com - See more at: http://www.agricolaeatery.com/#sthash.Z34q6Oc5.dpuf

Community Eatery

Eleven Witherspoon Street
Princeton, New Jersey 08542
telephone +1 (609) 921 2798 info@agricolaeatery.com greatroadfarm.com
- See more at: http://www.agricolaeatery.com/#sthash.Z34q6Oc5.dpuf
Agricola Community Eatery
11 Witherspoon St, Princeton, NJ 08542


http://www.agricolaeatery.com/

Community Eatery

Eleven Witherspoon Street
Princeton, New Jersey 08542
telephone +1 (609) 921 2798 info@agricolaeatery.com greatroadfarm.com
- See more at: http://www.agricolaeatery.com/#sthash.Z34q6Oc5.dpuf

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Paleo Burritos" AKA stuffed collard greens

I recently discovered another use for collard leaves, a replacement for our old friend known as tortillas or wraps. After removing the stems and taking a quick 3 to 5 minute bath in boiling water they are ready to go. They are more durable than lettuce and fold over a little easier after being boiled. I have used them to make a variety of lunchmeat and grilled chicken wraps recently and then I got to thinking, couldn't I make a burrito out of them? Once I assembled them, it reminded me more of stuffed cabbage than burritos, call it whatever you want, they were still yummy. So, I'll share the recipe with you.

This recipe should be considered a guide and you can change and swap any way you wish.

Approximately 4 collard leaves
1 lb ground turkey
1/2 yellow onion sliced thin
1 green bell pepper sliced thin
1 4 oz can green chiles
1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
the following spices can be added to your taste (I don't measure)
chilli powder
cumin
garlic powder
salt
pepper
cayenne…

Paleo Pineapple Upside Down Cake

EAT MORE KALE

A while ago, I learned of a guy making t-shirts and stickers with the phrase Eat More Kale on them and I was like "wow, I love kale, I need those!". And upon going through the process of finding Robert Muller Moore's website www.eatmorekale.com I found out more about him and learned some shocking stuff that he is going through.

If you live in an area where the fast food chain, Chik-Fil-A exists you may be familiar with their slogan and signs (including a cow) that read, "Eat Mor Chikin". So, they have been fighting to keep Robert from using the phrase Eat More Kale as they believe it is too similar to their slogan.

I support the Eat More Kale website, I'm a fan on facebook and I try to follow the story as best I can. Recently, I saw another blogger share a post about this struggle, including the Letter of Protest (see end of this post for reference) that Chik-Fil-A submitted, as I began to read it, I became very annoyed. Chik-Fil-A claims that because they …