Skip to main content

Elm Street Oyster House

For our first dinner on our trip to Greenwich, Connecticut we picked the Elm Street Oyster House. It was a  cute setting- it had a very seaside feel too it. It was small but not cramped. There was a nice bar area when you walk in and then the dining room was separated from the bar by a wall.

The person who greeted us was friendly, but over all the service felt rushed, they were pretty busy for a Thursday night, so that may have contributed to that. Our waiter was nice and did recommend some great oysters for us when we asked, but he was very short with us, not in a nasty way, he just didn't take his time with us. I feel it is worth mentioning, however it did not ruin our experience.

Elm Street Oyster House has a very nice menu, all the usual things you expect at a seafood place. What was nice is they have "daily specials" in which you can choose your seafood, fish, lobster, scallops, etc and then choose how you want it cooked, steamed, grilled, etc.

As you would expect, they of course have oysters on the menu, and as I mentioned we did ask our waiter to recommend some, so he recommended three kinds and we got two of each. They came out in a lovely presentation on a sliver platter with ice and each oyster had a label next to it telling us what it was. It would have been a good idea for me to write them down, but of course I did not because we were too busy eating them! haha! They were very good. Some of you who have read previous reviews (see Frontera Grill in Chicago) you know Skip is fairly new to oysters. These three were small and not very slimy which is a the way I prefer them. My companion can tolerate the bigger, juicer ones, but liked these too, they had great flavor. We of course were enjoying these with a nice bottle of white wine as well- they had a reasonably priced list.

In addition to the oysters, I also had a cup of gazpacho to start off my meal. It was yummy, very refreshing. When my companion asked me how it was I said, "like eating salsa with a spoon" but it wasn't just any salsa, it was also topped with a couple of sweet and delicious rock shrimp.

For our entrees, I chose the lobster from the daily specials and opted for it grilled, it was very good. It was grilled perfect and the meat was super sweet.
I got to chose two sides and opted for spinach and snap peas, they were both good, seasoned well. My companion went with the sauteed soft shell crab, it is always nice when you find it on a menu and it is not battered or fried. He said they were fresh and tasty. They were seasoned on the spicy side and came with mashed sweet potatoes. The sweet potatoes were also delicious.


All in all, Elm Street Oyster House was a great meal. We enjoyed the atmosphere and the food.

http://www.elmstreetoysterhouse.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Paleo Burritos" AKA stuffed collard greens

I recently discovered another use for collard leaves, a replacement for our old friend known as tortillas or wraps. After removing the stems and taking a quick 3 to 5 minute bath in boiling water they are ready to go. They are more durable than lettuce and fold over a little easier after being boiled. I have used them to make a variety of lunchmeat and grilled chicken wraps recently and then I got to thinking, couldn't I make a burrito out of them? Once I assembled them, it reminded me more of stuffed cabbage than burritos, call it whatever you want, they were still yummy. So, I'll share the recipe with you.

This recipe should be considered a guide and you can change and swap any way you wish.

Approximately 4 collard leaves
1 lb ground turkey
1/2 yellow onion sliced thin
1 green bell pepper sliced thin
1 4 oz can green chiles
1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
the following spices can be added to your taste (I don't measure)
chilli powder
cumin
garlic powder
salt
pepper
cayenne…

Paleo Pineapple Upside Down Cake

EAT MORE KALE

A while ago, I learned of a guy making t-shirts and stickers with the phrase Eat More Kale on them and I was like "wow, I love kale, I need those!". And upon going through the process of finding Robert Muller Moore's website www.eatmorekale.com I found out more about him and learned some shocking stuff that he is going through.

If you live in an area where the fast food chain, Chik-Fil-A exists you may be familiar with their slogan and signs (including a cow) that read, "Eat Mor Chikin". So, they have been fighting to keep Robert from using the phrase Eat More Kale as they believe it is too similar to their slogan.

I support the Eat More Kale website, I'm a fan on facebook and I try to follow the story as best I can. Recently, I saw another blogger share a post about this struggle, including the Letter of Protest (see end of this post for reference) that Chik-Fil-A submitted, as I began to read it, I became very annoyed. Chik-Fil-A claims that because they …