House of Skip

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Paleo Pineapple Upside Down Cake



Ok, here is another recipe for you. I recently bought a cast iron skillet and when I was purchasing it the woman at the register was talking about how she loves to make pineapple upside down cake in hers. So, I thought, I can make that paleo! I had just made a strawberry breakfast cake by Primally Inspired (http://www.primallyinspired.com/strawberry-breakfast-cake-with-cinnamon-crunch-topping-grain-free-paleo/)  and that gave me a great idea on how to make the batter for it. The "cinnamon crunch topping" on that breakfast cake is like crack! I couldn't stop eating it while I was making it! 

So, here is my Paleo version of the pineapple upside down cake. I have two great kitchen tools that I used besides the awesome cast iron skillet (if you don't have one, get it now). I used pineapple corer/slicer, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Ratcheting-Pineapple-Slicer/dp/B005LCT5I0
and it works great to get beautiful rings from a whole pineapple. If you are just going to dice the pineapple, don't bother, but when you need rings like I did for this, then the corer/slicer is great.

I also used my brand new Cherry pitter- http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Cherry-Pitter-Black/dp/B000NQ925K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377018307&sr=8-1&keywords=cherry+pitter which was a great help so that I could use, real
fresh cherries in this recipe and not jarred ones with lots of yucky ingredients in them.

Okay, so let's get down to business, this is how I did it.





Paleo pineapple upside down cake
2 tbs grass fed butter
5-6 pineapple rings
1/4 cup coconut sugar plus 1 tbs
5 eggs
1/3 cup coconut flour
2 tbs coconut oil melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tbs honey
4 cherries, pitted and halved

Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat, add butter and allow to melt, lay pineapple rings in the melted butter, sprinkle with 1/4 cup coconut sugar. Allow this to caramelize in pan.

Mix eggs with coconut flour, melted oil, vanilla extract, coconut sugar and honey and whisk until incorporated.

Pour cake batter over pineapple rings and top with halved cherries.
Just out of the oven.
Place in a 350 oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool and then flip onto a serving dish. (carefully)
Finished product
 PS- I served this to my family and they didn't know that it didn't have white sugar or white flour in it. :) They devoured it. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment