House of Skip

Monday, August 19, 2013

Fruit and Nut Bark- Paleo Pen Pals!

In addition to going out for food and drink, Skip likes to cook and experiment at home too! So, when she discovered Paleo Pen Pals https://www.facebook.com/PaleoPenPals/info you know she was super excited!

This is how it works- you sign up and they pair you with your "pen pal" via email. You exchange addresses and other important info (allergies, like/dislikes, general info) with your pen pal and then mail each other some fun stuff to cook with. Obviously, given this is a paleo site, the ingredients you send should be paleo friendly and there is a $10 price limit on the ingredients as well.

I got paired with Rachel Ball of San Fransisco (grokgrub.com)! I sent her a box of interesting items and I cannot wait to see what she does with them! She sent me one of the most amazing things I've ever been given! Raw cacao butter! I'd never used it so I was super excited to dig in. I contemplated going savory since I thought that going dessert would be too obvious, but my desire for sweets got the better of me and this is what I came up with.

Fruit and Nut Bark
 1.8 oz of raw cacao butter
 4 oz bar of 100% cacao chocolate bar (chopped)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
A dash of cinnamon
1 tablespoon of honey
1 cup chopped raw cashews
1/2 cup assorted dried fruit (I used Trader Joe's Golden Berry Blend which includes golden raisins, cherries, and other berries)

 I started by melting the cacao butter and chocolate bar in a saucepan.
I added the vanilla, cinnamon and honey and stirred until completed melted and combined. I removed the saucepan from the heat and stirred in the chopped cashew and dried fruits.
I then poured the melted mixture into a casserole dish that I greased with a little coconut oil, wrapped it in plastic wrap and put it in the freezer for a chilly little nap. When I awoke the next day, it was a beautiful brick of chocolate goodness waiting to be broken into.

Now all that is left to do is enjoy! It is sweet, yet slightly bitter and silky smooth from that delicious, wonderful cacao butter. The nuts and fruit add some texture and sure is a yummy treat when you want just a bite of chocolate.
Thanks Rachel!

1 comment:

  1. This looks awesome, I can't wait to make it for the boyfriend (who has a sweet tooth)!

    ReplyDelete