Skip to main content

Super Bowl Recipe- It's Game Time!

Ok, I know I've been MIA for awhile. That doesn't mean I haven't been eating and cooking some amazing stuff. I will work on a complilation of Skip's most recent favs. In the meantime, I'm prepping for the big day, that's right, The Stupid Bowl, uh. Oh, I mean Super Bowl. I am sure many of you are doing the same, so I thought I'd share my classic chili which has long been a favorite of my companion and our guests. 

Don't fear Paleo friends, we are not off the wagon, this is my original recipe, depending on your lifestyle and tastes feel free to omit or subsititute any of the items below. Example: paleo peeps omit the beans, but feel free to sub in some squash or other veggies. Likewise vegetarian peeps can leave out the chicken and just add a ton of veggies! Or if you want meat, ditch the chicken and use ground beef. It's all up to you folks, create your own destiny!

I hope you all have a rockin' time celebrating the Super Bowl. Feel free to share your recipes and tips with us at House of Skip!

Skip’s Special Chicken Chili

Skip’s Chili Spice Mix

3 tablespoons chili powder
1 packet taco seasoning
2 tablespoons Cumin
2 tablespoons Cocoa Powder
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 tablespoon Garlic Powder
2 teaspoons Cayenne Pepper
1 teaspoons Red Pepper Flakes
Salt and Pepper to taste

Combine all spices in a bowl or zip lock bag. Cover and let sit while you prep.

½ white onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 Jalepenos, diced
2 (15 oz) cans diced tomatoes
2 (15 oz) cans tomato sauce
Dash of Frank’s Red Hot
2 (15 oz) cans each red and black beans

4 Chicken breasts

Heat a skillet with olive oil, sprinkle chicken breast with approx. 1 to 1 ½ Tablespoons of Skip’s Chili Spice Mix, add to skillet and cook until chicken is no longer pink in the middle. Remove from heat and let cool.

Meanwhile, add olive oil to a large stock pot, over medium high heat sauté onion, red and green bell peppers and jalepenos for 2 minutes, add diced tomatoes, stir. Add tomato sauce, beans and the rest of Skip’s Chili Seasoning Mix, let simmer.

Once the chicken is cool enough to handle use forks to shred into small pieces and add to the pot, give it a good stir and let simmer until well combined and heated through, approx. 20 minutes.

Follow my directions and you'll have happy guests.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Paleo Burritos" AKA stuffed collard greens

I recently discovered another use for collard leaves, a replacement for our old friend known as tortillas or wraps. After removing the stems and taking a quick 3 to 5 minute bath in boiling water they are ready to go. They are more durable than lettuce and fold over a little easier after being boiled. I have used them to make a variety of lunchmeat and grilled chicken wraps recently and then I got to thinking, couldn't I make a burrito out of them? Once I assembled them, it reminded me more of stuffed cabbage than burritos, call it whatever you want, they were still yummy. So, I'll share the recipe with you.

This recipe should be considered a guide and you can change and swap any way you wish.

Approximately 4 collard leaves
1 lb ground turkey
1/2 yellow onion sliced thin
1 green bell pepper sliced thin
1 4 oz can green chiles
1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
the following spices can be added to your taste (I don't measure)
chilli powder
cumin
garlic powder
salt
pepper
cayenne…

Paleo Pineapple Upside Down Cake

EAT MORE KALE

A while ago, I learned of a guy making t-shirts and stickers with the phrase Eat More Kale on them and I was like "wow, I love kale, I need those!". And upon going through the process of finding Robert Muller Moore's website www.eatmorekale.com I found out more about him and learned some shocking stuff that he is going through.

If you live in an area where the fast food chain, Chik-Fil-A exists you may be familiar with their slogan and signs (including a cow) that read, "Eat Mor Chikin". So, they have been fighting to keep Robert from using the phrase Eat More Kale as they believe it is too similar to their slogan.

I support the Eat More Kale website, I'm a fan on facebook and I try to follow the story as best I can. Recently, I saw another blogger share a post about this struggle, including the Letter of Protest (see end of this post for reference) that Chik-Fil-A submitted, as I began to read it, I became very annoyed. Chik-Fil-A claims that because they …