Skip to main content

Accidental Paleo Ice Cream Cake


Sometimes good things come out of mistakes. I wouldn't say what happened was really a "mistake" but it just didn't work the way I thought it might. So, first it started with trying to make ice cream. I have a Kitchen Aid mixer and I also have the ice cream attachment, which is just a bowl that goes in the freezer and then you "churn" the ice cream batter with a special mixing paddle in the frozen bowl. 

I had found a new recipe recently that claimed if I added a mixture of coconut milk, honey and cocoa  powder to my ice cream maker it would come out like soft serve. Usually recipes require you to make some sort of custard base first and then after the churning you usually freeze it for a little while to make hard ice cream. I was a little skeptical, but I tried it. My fears were confirmed, after several minutes of churning the mix was not changing consistency. I decided to remove the paddle and cover the bowl and place it in my freezer. The next night I took it out to thaw for about an hour and then scooped it like hard ice cream, my companion and I agreed it was yummy. Therefore, it was not a complete failure.

But, alas, I would stumble upon another way to make this creation even more spectacular. Enter, coconut brownie bites.

I combined coconut flakes, cocoa powder, honey, and coconut oil in my food processor, expecting when I pulsed it around a few times it would become dough like and I could bake them as little cookie/brownie bites. They did not form into a dough and left with this crumbled mess I decided to bake them anyway thinking I could use it like granola to top fruit or ice cream or whatever. I bake it, take it out of the oven and test a little with a spoon, it reminded me of crunchy cookie stuff that Carvel uses in their ice cream cakes. Right then and there my brain started working overtime.  And something amazing was created.

I call it Accidental Paleo Ice Cream Cake. So, I let the "cookie crumble" cool and took my container of paleo ice cream out of the freezer to thaw. When they were ready, I took a pie tin and spread the "cookie crumble" in the bottom, I dumped the thawed ice cream on top and spread it around, trying to make the layers even. I covered it with foil and put it in the freezer.

Later that evening I told my dining companion I had a special dessert. I took it out of the freezer and cut it like a pie slice. It was delicious. I can't believe how much it reminded me of Carvel Ice Cream Cake. When I asked my companion what he thought he said, "I could eat 5 more". I guess that means it was good.


I think next I'll try using vanilla and chocolate ice cream and put the layer of "cookie crumble" in between. Yum. Drool.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Paleo Burritos" AKA stuffed collard greens

I recently discovered another use for collard leaves, a replacement for our old friend known as tortillas or wraps. After removing the stems and taking a quick 3 to 5 minute bath in boiling water they are ready to go. They are more durable than lettuce and fold over a little easier after being boiled. I have used them to make a variety of lunchmeat and grilled chicken wraps recently and then I got to thinking, couldn't I make a burrito out of them? Once I assembled them, it reminded me more of stuffed cabbage than burritos, call it whatever you want, they were still yummy. So, I'll share the recipe with you.

This recipe should be considered a guide and you can change and swap any way you wish.

Approximately 4 collard leaves
1 lb ground turkey
1/2 yellow onion sliced thin
1 green bell pepper sliced thin
1 4 oz can green chiles
1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
the following spices can be added to your taste (I don't measure)
chilli powder
cumin
garlic powder
salt
pepper
cayenne…

Paleo Pineapple Upside Down Cake

EAT MORE KALE

A while ago, I learned of a guy making t-shirts and stickers with the phrase Eat More Kale on them and I was like "wow, I love kale, I need those!". And upon going through the process of finding Robert Muller Moore's website www.eatmorekale.com I found out more about him and learned some shocking stuff that he is going through.

If you live in an area where the fast food chain, Chik-Fil-A exists you may be familiar with their slogan and signs (including a cow) that read, "Eat Mor Chikin". So, they have been fighting to keep Robert from using the phrase Eat More Kale as they believe it is too similar to their slogan.

I support the Eat More Kale website, I'm a fan on facebook and I try to follow the story as best I can. Recently, I saw another blogger share a post about this struggle, including the Letter of Protest (see end of this post for reference) that Chik-Fil-A submitted, as I began to read it, I became very annoyed. Chik-Fil-A claims that because they …