Skip to main content

Breakfast in Chicago

There are just as many choices for breakfast/brunch in Chicago as there are lunch and dinner spots. Our search led us to two to great places.

The first was, Over Easy, on a block where there isn't much other than houses and a laundry mat, the only way we found Over Easy was because of the large crowd waiting outside.

Always a good sign that the food is on point, we didn't mind the 30 minute wait, especially since they had free coffee out front for those waiting. The decor in Over Easy was adorable, one wall was covered completely in white, plastic eggs.

The menu was just as interesting. Of course we had more coffee once we were seated and then had the difficult task of choosing from their creative breakfast/brunch menu.

They have your standard eggs any way, omelets, scrambles, pancakes, french toast. But they also have some interesting twists like blueberry crunch pancakes that have granola in them. They also have a special menu that changes weekly. My companion and I both happened to order items from that menu. Mine was a take on Eggs Benedict that was served over an English Muffin of course, but also had beets on it. It was really unique, really fresh and really tasty. My companion got an omelet that had ham and some veggies in it, he also commented on the freshness of the ingredients and really enjoyed it.

We were both impressed with the service and the charm of Over Easy so make sure you stop in next time you are in Chicago. http://overeasychicago.com/

Our second great breakfast find in the Windy City was The Original Pancake House. With several locations around the US, The Original Pancake House is known for their "dutch baby" and their apple pancakes. On of their locations just happened to be within walking distance of our hotel, so we thought we'd give it a try.

They have an extensive list of pancake options, as well as eggs, waffles and crepes. We sat outside which was nice on the lovely morning that we were there. We did not try a "dutch baby" which is extremely large and puffy, it looked delicious but we thought we'd stick with pancakes. I was so intrigued by the bacon pancakes that I could not say no. And they were awesome. It would be difficult to eat a lot of them and they are probably something you only need to try once, but I am so glad I did. If you love bacon (and come on, doesn't everyone?) then you will love them. They are nice, fluffy, airy pancakes, filled (and I mean FILLED) with crispy, beautiful bits of bacon. With just a little syrup they were perfect. My companion opted to go the fruit route, I suppose trying to feel better about his pancake indulgence. He ordered the banana pancakes and they were equally delicious and full of banana goodness.

We left there completely stuffed and did some more walking to try and make those pancakes disappear. :) If you aren't into bacon or bananas you should be shot, no, no, I kid, there are plenty of other options for pancake or other breakfast stuffs at The Original Pancake House so try one of their many locations for yourself: http://www.originalpancakehouse.com/index.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Paleo Burritos" AKA stuffed collard greens

I recently discovered another use for collard leaves, a replacement for our old friend known as tortillas or wraps. After removing the stems and taking a quick 3 to 5 minute bath in boiling water they are ready to go. They are more durable than lettuce and fold over a little easier after being boiled. I have used them to make a variety of lunchmeat and grilled chicken wraps recently and then I got to thinking, couldn't I make a burrito out of them? Once I assembled them, it reminded me more of stuffed cabbage than burritos, call it whatever you want, they were still yummy. So, I'll share the recipe with you.

This recipe should be considered a guide and you can change and swap any way you wish.

Approximately 4 collard leaves
1 lb ground turkey
1/2 yellow onion sliced thin
1 green bell pepper sliced thin
1 4 oz can green chiles
1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
the following spices can be added to your taste (I don't measure)
chilli powder
cumin
garlic powder
salt
pepper
cayenne…

Paleo Pineapple Upside Down Cake

EAT MORE KALE

A while ago, I learned of a guy making t-shirts and stickers with the phrase Eat More Kale on them and I was like "wow, I love kale, I need those!". And upon going through the process of finding Robert Muller Moore's website www.eatmorekale.com I found out more about him and learned some shocking stuff that he is going through.

If you live in an area where the fast food chain, Chik-Fil-A exists you may be familiar with their slogan and signs (including a cow) that read, "Eat Mor Chikin". So, they have been fighting to keep Robert from using the phrase Eat More Kale as they believe it is too similar to their slogan.

I support the Eat More Kale website, I'm a fan on facebook and I try to follow the story as best I can. Recently, I saw another blogger share a post about this struggle, including the Letter of Protest (see end of this post for reference) that Chik-Fil-A submitted, as I began to read it, I became very annoyed. Chik-Fil-A claims that because they …