Skip to main content

Aneu Bistro and Wine Bar

Finally free from taxes! Some of you may be aware my companion is a tax man and so we hadn't done much wining or dining for quite some time. So, once tax day had come and gone we planned a day of eating, traveling and drinking wine from local wineries. This particular journey took us to the interesting land of Pennsylvania.

We started with breakfast, the most important meal of the day (especially when you plan on drinking all day). So, we stopped at Aneu Bistro and Wine Bar, I know, I know, you're saying, "Skip, you ate breakfast at a wine bar!". Yes, yes we did but surprisingly we did not drink any wine or other alcohol for that matter. Shocking, I know, I can't say I wasn't tempted, but coffee was much more important to me at the point and time. Those of you that know me personally know that I am not much of a morning person, despite the fact that I regularly wake up at an early hour. So, my companion plotted out our day with a drive into Berwyn, PA for breakfast at Aneu on our way to our PA winery tour.

Even tough Aneu is an established wine mecca, they are open for breakfast during the week and brunch on the weekends. We happened to be traveling on a Friday and arrived at Aneu bright and early, we were the first customers and the only customers the whole time we were there. Our server seated us and I'm pretty sure it's probably just him and the cook until lunch time. The place is gorgeous, very hip, very shabby chic with unique and inspiring decor. The bar is awesome and I bet it is hopping in the evening with lots of wine flowing and yummy bites to eat.

We sat down and were quickly served coffee, we looked over the breakfast menu which is not long, but is interesting. Pancakes, waffles, eggs, all the usual suspects were there. My companion was in a celebratory mood and went a little wild and ordered a Belgian waffle with fresh fruit. I ordered the egg scramble which was sausage, scrambled eggs, onions, peppers and potatoes topped with cheese. My companion loved the waffle, it was fluffy and the edges were crispy and he just loved it. It was a nice treat for him and he would typically not use butter on a waffle, but they had cinnamon butter and it was heavenly. My egg scramble was great, the sausage was crumbled, a little spicy, the onions, peppers and potatoes were so soft and caramelized, so yummy.

I have to also point out that the coffee at this place was delicious. It had a nice flavor and aroma too it. My companion and I don't often agree when it comes to coffee because I like a dark roast where he is more of a medium roast or flavored coffee guy, but we both thought the coffee at Aneu was great.

Our waiter was also great. He kept apologizing for the food taking long, but honestly we didn't notice or really care that it took a little long to get our food. We were really enjoying the coffee and having the place all to ourselves. But because of his concern and not charging us for coffee as his apology (totally unnecessary) he got himself a nice tip.

So, I would highly suggest Aneu for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner. I would love to go back and check out their wine list and dinner menu. If you get there before me, let me know how it is!

http://aneubistro.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Paleo Burritos" AKA stuffed collard greens

I recently discovered another use for collard leaves, a replacement for our old friend known as tortillas or wraps. After removing the stems and taking a quick 3 to 5 minute bath in boiling water they are ready to go. They are more durable than lettuce and fold over a little easier after being boiled. I have used them to make a variety of lunchmeat and grilled chicken wraps recently and then I got to thinking, couldn't I make a burrito out of them? Once I assembled them, it reminded me more of stuffed cabbage than burritos, call it whatever you want, they were still yummy. So, I'll share the recipe with you.

This recipe should be considered a guide and you can change and swap any way you wish.

Approximately 4 collard leaves
1 lb ground turkey
1/2 yellow onion sliced thin
1 green bell pepper sliced thin
1 4 oz can green chiles
1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
the following spices can be added to your taste (I don't measure)
chilli powder
cumin
garlic powder
salt
pepper
cayenne…

Paleo Pineapple Upside Down Cake

EAT MORE KALE

A while ago, I learned of a guy making t-shirts and stickers with the phrase Eat More Kale on them and I was like "wow, I love kale, I need those!". And upon going through the process of finding Robert Muller Moore's website www.eatmorekale.com I found out more about him and learned some shocking stuff that he is going through.

If you live in an area where the fast food chain, Chik-Fil-A exists you may be familiar with their slogan and signs (including a cow) that read, "Eat Mor Chikin". So, they have been fighting to keep Robert from using the phrase Eat More Kale as they believe it is too similar to their slogan.

I support the Eat More Kale website, I'm a fan on facebook and I try to follow the story as best I can. Recently, I saw another blogger share a post about this struggle, including the Letter of Protest (see end of this post for reference) that Chik-Fil-A submitted, as I began to read it, I became very annoyed. Chik-Fil-A claims that because they …