Skip to main content

Steakhouse 85- New Brunswick, NJ

So, my dining companion and I arrived in New Brunswick via Train and headed to Steakhouse 85 where we had a reservation. It is really an easy walk from the train station. We arrived and were immediately impressed with the steakhouse feel and charm of the place. The wood panelled walls (the good kind)  gave the place a feeling of history and sophistication. After checking our coats (classy) we were seated at a two seat booth. Our waitress came and introduced herself and offered us water. As we were looking over the menu, my companion decided it would be fun to have pre-dinner drinks, it took a little while to get the waitress back over, but he ordered a martini and I a sparkling grapefruit cocktail. As we continued to discuss the menu, I enjoyed my drink which was a sparkling white wine with grapefruit juice and a sugar cube in the bottom that fizzed as I drank it, it was so much fun! My dining companion was slowly sipping his "85" martini which featured Double Cross vodka and a truffle olive.
 Finally we were ready to order, we shared two appetizers, chipolte orange scallops and jumbo lump crab martini. The scallops were great, really unique and interesting flavors, the citrus was a welcome contrast to the slightly smoky chipolte. I know some say the crab martini is so 10 years ago, but I still love it. I think it's fun and Steakhouse 85 really puts a twist on it by covering the crab in lemon vodka. The crab was delicious and sweet and there was plenty of it (some places will skimp on the crab). The only complaint I have is that the lemon vodka was a bit strong at the bottom, so you couldn't really enjoy the greens that were at the bottom of the glass, if you got them on the fork with your crab it was way too strong. Perhaps just marinating the crab in the vodka would be good enough or maybe make a sauce with it instead of just pouring vodka on top? We still enjoyed it and the horseradish sauce was awesome.

On to the main event. Like any classic steakhouse the dinner menu is a la carte. My dining companion ordered the filet mignon and I the free range pork chop (do we need to review how much I love pork again?). We also ordered a side dish of sauteed spinach to share. Bot the filet and the pork had a beautiful crust on the outside, they were huge pieces of meat and looked so delicious. The plates were simple, with just a garnish of tomato and parsley. The spinach was a great side, it wasn't rich and didn't steal the spotlight from the steak or chop.
My dining companion was impressed with how perfect his steak was cooked, for such a think cut of meat, it was medium rare, just like he asked. We had also ordered a bottle of wine and were slowly enjoying our Cotes du Rhone with our dinner.












How do you finish off a meal like that? With peppermint ice of course! We decided to just take a peak at the dessert menu and when we saw that they had peppermint ice cream, we thought what a nice sweet treat to share at the end of our meal. It arrived in a traditional glass parfait style dish and was had two giant scoops of pink ice cream with red and green bits of peppermint candies in it! It was so much fun and really hit the spot, the coolness of the ice cream and the refreshing feel of the mint was perfect to soothe our stomachs after a big meal.



So, hop a train, head to New Brunswick, take a nice stroll to Steakhouse 85 and get ready to enjoy classic steakhouse atmosphere and food. The service can be a little slow, but if you are with someone you like, don't worry about it, just chat and drink and relax!

Steakhouse 85       
85 Church St.  New Brunswick, NJ      
(732) 247-8585

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Paleo Burritos" AKA stuffed collard greens

I recently discovered another use for collard leaves, a replacement for our old friend known as tortillas or wraps. After removing the stems and taking a quick 3 to 5 minute bath in boiling water they are ready to go. They are more durable than lettuce and fold over a little easier after being boiled. I have used them to make a variety of lunchmeat and grilled chicken wraps recently and then I got to thinking, couldn't I make a burrito out of them? Once I assembled them, it reminded me more of stuffed cabbage than burritos, call it whatever you want, they were still yummy. So, I'll share the recipe with you.

This recipe should be considered a guide and you can change and swap any way you wish.

Approximately 4 collard leaves
1 lb ground turkey
1/2 yellow onion sliced thin
1 green bell pepper sliced thin
1 4 oz can green chiles
1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
the following spices can be added to your taste (I don't measure)
chilli powder
cumin
garlic powder
salt
pepper
cayenne…

Paleo Pineapple Upside Down Cake

EAT MORE KALE

A while ago, I learned of a guy making t-shirts and stickers with the phrase Eat More Kale on them and I was like "wow, I love kale, I need those!". And upon going through the process of finding Robert Muller Moore's website www.eatmorekale.com I found out more about him and learned some shocking stuff that he is going through.

If you live in an area where the fast food chain, Chik-Fil-A exists you may be familiar with their slogan and signs (including a cow) that read, "Eat Mor Chikin". So, they have been fighting to keep Robert from using the phrase Eat More Kale as they believe it is too similar to their slogan.

I support the Eat More Kale website, I'm a fan on facebook and I try to follow the story as best I can. Recently, I saw another blogger share a post about this struggle, including the Letter of Protest (see end of this post for reference) that Chik-Fil-A submitted, as I began to read it, I became very annoyed. Chik-Fil-A claims that because they …