House of Skip

Monday, January 23, 2012

Paleo Pad Thai

Okay, so I neglected to take a photo of this one, but I'll share the recipe anyway and if I make it again, I'll try to remember to take a photo.

1 spaghetti squash, roasted and scraped
1/2 lb to 1 lb of shrimp (depends on servings, I did 2 servings with a 1/2 lb)
1 red bell pepper sliced thin
1/2 onion sliced thin
1 cup green beans, trimmed
2 tablespoons sunbutter
2 teaspoons chili paste
vinegar to thin out the sauce (I just eyeballed it)
juice of one lime
the following spices I added to the sauce per my own taste, again I don't measure so just go ahead and do what you like
salt
pepper
garlic powder
chili flakes
nut of your choice (optional)
lime wedges for garnish (optional)

It is a good idea to roast and scrape your spaghetti squash ahead of time, you could even do it the day before and store your "spaghetti" in an airtight container in the fridge.

In this case, I had been at the gym and so I put the squash in a 375 degree oven while I took a shower and put away some laundry, about a half an hour should do it. Let the squash cool while you assemble the rest. I put the veggies in a pot with some coconut oil and let them saute up and get nice and soft 5 to 10 minutes, I hit them with salt, pepper and some lime juice. Meanwhile, I took a bowl and a whisk and put in the sunbutter, lime juice, chili paste and gave it a good whisk, then I used some vinegar to thin it out a little (you could also use tamari or coconut aminos, but I had vinegar so I used that). Then I seasoned it up some more with salt, pepper, garlic powder and chili flakes.

I set my sauce aside and then I peeled my shrimp and cut them into bite size pieces (you can leave them whole if you want, but I wanted to get a bites of shrimp throughout the dish). I added the shrimp to the veggie mix and let them cook for probably about 5 to 7 minutes, until they started to look done. Then I added the spaghetti squash into the skillet and gave it a good mix, then I poured the sauce on top and mixed it until the sauce coated everything. Then I plated the mix with a lime wedge and sprinkled a couple pine nuts on top for some crunch. Traditionally pad thai has peanuts on it, but since this is a peanut free recipe I experimented with the nuts I had. You should do cashews, sunflower seeds or anything really, I would just make sure they are chopped, so they just add a little texture to the dish.

I really wish I had a picture to share with you, but I guess I'll just have to make it again soon!

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment