Skip to main content

Cork- Westmont, NJ

It's no secret that my companion and I love wine, so when I spotted a place called, "Cork", I knew we had to go. Westmont is a little southern NJ town just past Haddonfield. Cork has there on parking lot and sits back a little off the street, so don't go too fast or you might miss it. The place definitely has a very hip vibe to it, cool modern decor and lots of wine and cork paraphernalia to boot. The bar was more of the happening scene on this Friday night that we were there, but the longer we were there the more the tables filled up.

Because the place had a fun vibe, we were in the mood for a pre-dinner drink, that and we had no idea what we were eating, so it was too soon to order wine! I ordered the Cucumber Cosmo which was Gin, Triple Sec, Lime, White Cranberry Juice a very unique and refreshing twist on my favorite drink. My companion went with the Spicy Lime Margarita Tequila, Simple Syrup, Fresh Lime, Jalapeno because he is always in search of something spicy!

The first thing we decided is that we would order a "meat board", often times referred to as Charcuterie, any one that is not new to HOS, knows this is a favorite of ours. The way it works at Cork is that they give you a selection of meats and cheeses to choose from, since we've recently been trying to stay dairy free, we went with all meat. All boards come with bread, olives and a fruit spread, for $12 we chose 3 meats from the list, Prosciutto di Parma, Hot Coppa, and Dry Cured Sausage. We had fine playing with the different flavor combinations of the fruit, meat and bread. Cork also has an interesting selection of small plates for sharing, one I'd like to try if we go back is the Korean Tacos- shredded beef and pickled onions, sounds good, right? But we just stuck with the Meat Board, which was excellent.

On to entrees. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love pork. All pork, chops, tenderloin, roast, osso bucco, ribs, bacon, ham, I could go on and on. So, when I saw, Pancetta Stuffed Pork Roast on the menu, my decision was made. My dining companion had a more difficult time making a choice so many of his favorite options, steak, scallops, yellowfin tuna, he went with the Hanger Steak, which came with asparagus, being is favorite vegetable it did factor in his decision. He was amazed at how good the steak was and that the gouda cheese and red wine sauce were a perfect complement to the dish.While my pork roast was tasty and juicy, the meat was very fatty and I could not really taste the pancetta, the roast did not appear to be stuffed at all. Other than that, it was good, the mushroom stew it came with was great. If I were to do it over, I might have gotten the scallops or even the hanger steak. Ideally, if I went back again, I'd like to sit in the bar and just get a bunch of small plates and share.

The wine list at Cork is not huge, but it does offer a good variety of wines, almost all available by the glass or bottle. It was great to see wines like Cotes Du Rhone, Barbera d’ Asti, Montepulciano d’ Abruzzo and Torrontes on such a short menu. I think I had the Barbera and my companion had the Cotes Du Rhone, but I could be wrong as my memory is not the great right now (need more Gingko Biloba).

All in all, it was a good experience and I wouldn't say no to going back again. 


90 Haddon Avenue
Westmont, NJ 08108
856.833.9800

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Paleo Burritos" AKA stuffed collard greens

I recently discovered another use for collard leaves, a replacement for our old friend known as tortillas or wraps. After removing the stems and taking a quick 3 to 5 minute bath in boiling water they are ready to go. They are more durable than lettuce and fold over a little easier after being boiled. I have used them to make a variety of lunchmeat and grilled chicken wraps recently and then I got to thinking, couldn't I make a burrito out of them? Once I assembled them, it reminded me more of stuffed cabbage than burritos, call it whatever you want, they were still yummy. So, I'll share the recipe with you.

This recipe should be considered a guide and you can change and swap any way you wish.

Approximately 4 collard leaves
1 lb ground turkey
1/2 yellow onion sliced thin
1 green bell pepper sliced thin
1 4 oz can green chiles
1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
the following spices can be added to your taste (I don't measure)
chilli powder
cumin
garlic powder
salt
pepper
cayenne…

Paleo Pineapple Upside Down Cake

EAT MORE KALE

A while ago, I learned of a guy making t-shirts and stickers with the phrase Eat More Kale on them and I was like "wow, I love kale, I need those!". And upon going through the process of finding Robert Muller Moore's website www.eatmorekale.com I found out more about him and learned some shocking stuff that he is going through.

If you live in an area where the fast food chain, Chik-Fil-A exists you may be familiar with their slogan and signs (including a cow) that read, "Eat Mor Chikin". So, they have been fighting to keep Robert from using the phrase Eat More Kale as they believe it is too similar to their slogan.

I support the Eat More Kale website, I'm a fan on facebook and I try to follow the story as best I can. Recently, I saw another blogger share a post about this struggle, including the Letter of Protest (see end of this post for reference) that Chik-Fil-A submitted, as I began to read it, I became very annoyed. Chik-Fil-A claims that because they …