Skip to main content

Memphis Taproom, Philadelphia

I'm always interested in finding hip, hangout places and I am always pleasantly surprised when they happen to have good food. Memphis Taproom is one of those places. It doesn't look like much from the outside, in fact at night you might not even know it was there, situated on a street corner in the Kensington section of Philadelphia.

As soon as my dining companion and I opened the door, we know many people had managed to find it. The bar was packed, as was the dining room. From the looks of it, it was going to take awhile to get a table in the dining room and there was not much room to wait around, so we decided to grab a table in the bar that was right near the front door. Some people might complain about being close to a constantly opening door, but for people watchers like my companion and I it was fun!

I signaled to the bartender and asked him if we could eat in the bar, he told us we could and provided us with menus and directed my attention to the board with the list of draft beers. Being a "taproom" they have a large selection of beers and judging from other reviews, many people flock there just for that. However, being fans for Diner, Drive-ins and Dives on the Food Network, my dining companion and I were there for the food that Guy Fieri raved about. We took a look at the beers and the menu, making a selection was difficult, but when we were ready, I went over to tell the bartender what we'd like.

My companion went with a lighter beer, Victory Braumeister Pils and I went with something a little darker and bitter, Sierra N. Hemisphere. He enjoyed his Pils and my Sierra was awesome, you know we are wine people, but every once in awhile a good beer is great. For food- we ordered two apps to share, the much talked and raved about Pork Rillon salad which had crispy, heavenly, melt in your mouth chunks for pork belly and roasted pumpkin on top of greens. The second app we shared was grilled brussel sprouts which were nicely caramelized and yummy.

Just as we finished up those tasty treats, our sandwiches came out. You can really sample quite a bit of unique food at Memphis Taproom without breaking the bank. I got the kielbasy grinder which was just great, exactly what you want to munch on while enjoying a beer, the roll was soft and a nice contrast to the snap of that kielbasa, which had a lovely beer mustard and just a touch of sauerkraut on it- yum! My companion had the roast pork sandwich with spiedie sauce, we had no idea what spiedie sauce was but after some googling have learned it is a style of sandwich that originated in upstate NY and involves a sauce or marinade of olive oil, vinegar, "Italian" spices and mint. He really liked his sandwich too. We were in agreement that Memphis Taproom is a cool hangout with unique and tasty food.

http://memphistaproom.com/index.htm

2331 East Cumberland Street
Philadelphia, PA 19125

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Paleo Burritos" AKA stuffed collard greens

I recently discovered another use for collard leaves, a replacement for our old friend known as tortillas or wraps. After removing the stems and taking a quick 3 to 5 minute bath in boiling water they are ready to go. They are more durable than lettuce and fold over a little easier after being boiled. I have used them to make a variety of lunchmeat and grilled chicken wraps recently and then I got to thinking, couldn't I make a burrito out of them? Once I assembled them, it reminded me more of stuffed cabbage than burritos, call it whatever you want, they were still yummy. So, I'll share the recipe with you.

This recipe should be considered a guide and you can change and swap any way you wish.

Approximately 4 collard leaves
1 lb ground turkey
1/2 yellow onion sliced thin
1 green bell pepper sliced thin
1 4 oz can green chiles
1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
the following spices can be added to your taste (I don't measure)
chilli powder
cumin
garlic powder
salt
pepper
cayenne…

Paleo Pineapple Upside Down Cake

EAT MORE KALE

A while ago, I learned of a guy making t-shirts and stickers with the phrase Eat More Kale on them and I was like "wow, I love kale, I need those!". And upon going through the process of finding Robert Muller Moore's website www.eatmorekale.com I found out more about him and learned some shocking stuff that he is going through.

If you live in an area where the fast food chain, Chik-Fil-A exists you may be familiar with their slogan and signs (including a cow) that read, "Eat Mor Chikin". So, they have been fighting to keep Robert from using the phrase Eat More Kale as they believe it is too similar to their slogan.

I support the Eat More Kale website, I'm a fan on facebook and I try to follow the story as best I can. Recently, I saw another blogger share a post about this struggle, including the Letter of Protest (see end of this post for reference) that Chik-Fil-A submitted, as I began to read it, I became very annoyed. Chik-Fil-A claims that because they …