Skip to main content

Stace of Cakes, Trenton, NJ

I found myself in the position of not having any lunch today and since the weather turned out to be rather nice, I decided to walk down to the recently opened, Stace of Cakes on Willow St. I had read about them in the paper and became a "fan" on Facebook, so I knew they were serving lunch now.

The place is adorable inside, with bright colors and fancy trinkets, like a metal and glass chandelier and cupcake stands with crystals hanging from them. I was greeted by a kind and lovely lady whom I assume is Stace, but I did not ask. The lunch menu is not large, but has something for everyone. Salads, sandwiches, wraps, I would say, light fare. I noticed something listed as "curried chicken salad" and I didn't know if it was chicken salad as in the kind made with mayo or if it was just curried chicken over a salad, it turns out it could be either and I opted for the curried chicken over salad. She excused herself to go prepare it and I stared dreamily at the cupcakes in t he display case.

While I was waiting the "Stace of Cakes" truck pulled up outside and a man came in, based on the fact that a little voice from the back room said "Daddy's here" I guessed it was Mr. Stace of Cakes. He smiled politely and asked if I was being waited on and I told him I was. I didn't mind waiting for my salad because I knew that meant Stace was taking the time to prepare it fresh for me. When she came back out with my salad she informed me that this came with a drink and a bag of chips. I was astonished as it was only $4.75! I took a water and the bag of chips (even though I knew I wouldn't eat them).

After staring at the cupcakes, I decided that if I was going to try out Stace of Cakes, I might as well sample the item in their name! I asked what kind of special flavors she had today, knowing from the Facebook page that it isn't just chocolate or vanilla. She rattled off a few, but I heard something that appealed to me right away, pineapple coconut. So, a nice size salad, chips, a drink, a cupcake and friendly service for around $8, including a tip, not a bad.

My walk back to the office was a little quicker than the walk there as I was anxious to try my goodies. The salad was a perfect size in a square plastic container, nice crisp lettuce, grape tomatoes, slices of cucumber and red onion, all topped with a delicious curried chicken. I hadn't gotten to the cupcake yet, but it was obvious to me that Stace can cook. The chicken was well seasoned, juicy and very tasty. The whole salad was very fresh and yummy. I rationalized that in addition to my lunch being healthy that the cupcake was also small (no giant sized monstrosities at Stace of Cakes, just normal cupcakes) and so I could give it a go.

I took it out if it's container and pulled back the paper, taking a small bite, but still getting both icing and cake in there. The icing was yummy, with shredded coconut on top and the cake was moist and had chunks of pineapple in it. The icing was very flavorful and not just a sugary paste. It tasted homemade and I think that is the key to success, not some super fancy, showy cupcake, but just one that tastes good and reminds you of something your mom used to make.

I'll definitely be taking the walk back down to Stace of Cakes the next time I find myself without a lunch, though I can't always justify the cupcake. However, based on the taste of that cupcake, I will consider cupcakes and cakes from their for my next special occasion. FYI she needs 2 to 3 weeks notice for a specialty cake.

Oh! And before I forget, they also feature vegan lunch items and vegan cupcakes and they also serve breakfast.

Find Stace of Cakes

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stace-of-Cakes/133169093368613?ref=ts

http://www.staceofcakes.com/

11 N. Willow St, Trenton, NJ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Paleo Burritos" AKA stuffed collard greens

I recently discovered another use for collard leaves, a replacement for our old friend known as tortillas or wraps. After removing the stems and taking a quick 3 to 5 minute bath in boiling water they are ready to go. They are more durable than lettuce and fold over a little easier after being boiled. I have used them to make a variety of lunchmeat and grilled chicken wraps recently and then I got to thinking, couldn't I make a burrito out of them? Once I assembled them, it reminded me more of stuffed cabbage than burritos, call it whatever you want, they were still yummy. So, I'll share the recipe with you.

This recipe should be considered a guide and you can change and swap any way you wish.

Approximately 4 collard leaves
1 lb ground turkey
1/2 yellow onion sliced thin
1 green bell pepper sliced thin
1 4 oz can green chiles
1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
the following spices can be added to your taste (I don't measure)
chilli powder
cumin
garlic powder
salt
pepper
cayenne…

Paleo Pineapple Upside Down Cake

EAT MORE KALE

A while ago, I learned of a guy making t-shirts and stickers with the phrase Eat More Kale on them and I was like "wow, I love kale, I need those!". And upon going through the process of finding Robert Muller Moore's website www.eatmorekale.com I found out more about him and learned some shocking stuff that he is going through.

If you live in an area where the fast food chain, Chik-Fil-A exists you may be familiar with their slogan and signs (including a cow) that read, "Eat Mor Chikin". So, they have been fighting to keep Robert from using the phrase Eat More Kale as they believe it is too similar to their slogan.

I support the Eat More Kale website, I'm a fan on facebook and I try to follow the story as best I can. Recently, I saw another blogger share a post about this struggle, including the Letter of Protest (see end of this post for reference) that Chik-Fil-A submitted, as I began to read it, I became very annoyed. Chik-Fil-A claims that because they …