Skip to main content

Thai Orchid, Blue Bell, PA

~Originally posted 10.1.09~
On the quest for more delicious thai food, my dining companion and I enlisted the help of a friend. Upon researching several places, it was decided we would all three dine at Thai Orchid in Blue Bell, PA. We arrived at this cute and tiny little place, elaborately decorated with orchids, elephants, and all things gold and shiny. We were very hungry and had great anticipation for fabulous food, based on the fact that they are Zagat recommended. With wine in tow (they are BYOB) we took our seats and admired the decor.

Upon opening the menu, our friend declared, "I want the fortune bags", all jokes aside (I couldn't help it) they were tasty, thin fried pastry shells, tied into a bag filled with chicken, shrimp and crabmeat, served with sweet plum sauce. They were really good and the sauce was also good, a little tangy, a little sweet- that's a good combo in my book. My dining companion went with the Tom Yum soup, which he always gets a thai places, it's a spicy lemongrass and coconut soup with shrimp, lime and vegetable. He said it was salty and not as spicy as some others he's had, but overall he liked it. Since it was a little chilly out, I went with soup as well, I opted for the Thai ravioli soup, because it sounded similar to a wonton soup, it was chicken and shrimp dumplings in a broth with vegetables, the broth was a little bland and could have used more vegetables, but the dumplings were tasty.

For our entrées I ordered Thai Eggplant, which was eggplant sautéed with chicken, peppers and "aromatic herbs" (according to the menu), it was very good, the sauce was light, yet I did sense a little coconut and a little kick of spice. Like many restaurants that serve spicy dishes, the menu at Thai Orchid had asterisks next to them indicating the spice level, my dish had two. Our friend ordered Mussaman curry, which only had one asterisk, and was a red curry sauce with peanut sauce and coconut milk. Despite the fact that it was offered on the menu with chicken or beef, when our friend asked if she could get shrimp instead the waitress didn't even bat an eye, she said it would be no problem. We were all impressed with the ease in which you can make substitutions or special requests. My dining companion ordered green curry with shrimp, which had three asterisks, it was very spicy. And he enjoyed every bite! There was a lot of shrimp in both my companion's dish, as well as the one our friend ordered. We looked at the dessert menu and while it was our friend's idea, she ordered only a thai iced tea for dessert, my companion and I ended up sharing a ginger ice cream. The presentation of the ice cream was great, it is a small scoop, served in a hard chocolate shell with a mango sauce nicely swirled into a design on the plate. The ice cream was good, upon trying some our friend stated it was like "creamy gingerale" and I would say that was an accurate description. It was yummy and light and the chocolate shell gave you just that little taste of chocolate to go along with it, my companion really enjoyed the mango sauce.

So, in review, Thai Orchid is an adorable place, with great staff and wonderful food. Stop by and enjoy  the nice atmosphere and delicious Thai cuisine. And tell them Skip sent you.

check them out at:

www.thaiorchidofbluebell.com
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Paleo Burritos" AKA stuffed collard greens

I recently discovered another use for collard leaves, a replacement for our old friend known as tortillas or wraps. After removing the stems and taking a quick 3 to 5 minute bath in boiling water they are ready to go. They are more durable than lettuce and fold over a little easier after being boiled. I have used them to make a variety of lunchmeat and grilled chicken wraps recently and then I got to thinking, couldn't I make a burrito out of them? Once I assembled them, it reminded me more of stuffed cabbage than burritos, call it whatever you want, they were still yummy. So, I'll share the recipe with you.

This recipe should be considered a guide and you can change and swap any way you wish.

Approximately 4 collard leaves
1 lb ground turkey
1/2 yellow onion sliced thin
1 green bell pepper sliced thin
1 4 oz can green chiles
1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
the following spices can be added to your taste (I don't measure)
chilli powder
cumin
garlic powder
salt
pepper
cayenne…

Paleo Pineapple Upside Down Cake

EAT MORE KALE

A while ago, I learned of a guy making t-shirts and stickers with the phrase Eat More Kale on them and I was like "wow, I love kale, I need those!". And upon going through the process of finding Robert Muller Moore's website www.eatmorekale.com I found out more about him and learned some shocking stuff that he is going through.

If you live in an area where the fast food chain, Chik-Fil-A exists you may be familiar with their slogan and signs (including a cow) that read, "Eat Mor Chikin". So, they have been fighting to keep Robert from using the phrase Eat More Kale as they believe it is too similar to their slogan.

I support the Eat More Kale website, I'm a fan on facebook and I try to follow the story as best I can. Recently, I saw another blogger share a post about this struggle, including the Letter of Protest (see end of this post for reference) that Chik-Fil-A submitted, as I began to read it, I became very annoyed. Chik-Fil-A claims that because they …